Rosie’s Place was founded in 1974 as the first women’s shelter in the United States. Our mission is to provide a safe and nurturing environment to help poor and homeless women maintain their dignity, seek opportunity and find security in their lives.
Over the years, we have become much more than a shelter. We are a multi-service community center that not only provides meals and shelter but also creates answers for thousands of women a year through wide-ranging support, housing and education services. Rosie’s Place relies on the generous support of individuals, foundations and corporations and does not accept any city, state or federal funding.
The Food Pantry at Rosie’s Place aims to provide a welcoming and supportive atmosphere for guests using this program. We provide fresh meat, dairy, fruits, vegetables, non-perishable staples, household supplies and face masks to 350 women every weekday to help feed the more than 700 members of their households. The Food Pantry Associate will provide groceries to the women who come to Rosie’s Place, under the supervision and direction of the Food Pantry Assistant Manager.
- Greet guests and explain the procedures of the Food Pantry
- Utilize computer database to check in guests and verify identity
- Distribute groceries to the guests of Rosie’s Place Food Pantry
- Provide guidance to Essential Service Workers and other staff members when they work shifts in the food pantry
- Organize food donations and deliveries and stock shelves
- Sort and pack food pantry items
- Complete daily log entry and record daily refrigerator and freezer temperatures
- Clean and sanitize spaces in accordance with food safety guidelines
- Respond to all matters, questions and concerns in a dignified and respectful manner
- Provide information to guests about services that Rosie’s Place has to offer, and other resources outside of Rosie’s Place
- Perform additional duties as assigned by the Food Program Director or Food Pantry Assistant Manager
- As a member of the Rosie’s Place Food Programs, which includes the Dining Room in addition to the Food Pantry, occasionally work shifts in the Dining Room as needed to meet programmatic needs, as directed by the Food Program Director or Food Pantry Assistant Manager. Holiday coverage is required on a rotating basis with other Food Programs colleagues.
- A high school diploma or 2 years related work experience
- Ability to speak Haitian Creole and/or Spanish and/or Cantonese and/or Mandarin in addition to English strongly preferred
- Strong commitment to social justice and the mission of Rosie’s Place
- Strong customer service mindset with effective and diplomatic, yet supportive communication style
- Ability to work independently
- Physical ability for lifting and standing for several hours at a time
- Experience working with people from diverse backgrounds
- Ability to be assertive when needed in a courteous and respectful manner
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
Job is performed in a grocery store setting. Day to day work includes lifting, stocking and cleaning as well as interaction with staff, guests, and volunteers. Individuals must be physically able to safely lift 50 pounds, reach, bend and stoop, as well as stand for long periods of time.
Two shifts are being recruited for:
Monday-Friday from 7:00am-3:00pm
Monday-Friday from 10:00am-6:00pm
WHAT WE OFFER
The starting salary range for this full-time, non-exempt position is $17-$21 per hour, commensurate with experience.
Rosie’s Place offers a robust benefits package, including medical and dental insurance, 403(b) retirement plan, pension contributions, paid vacation, and more.
We are a hands-on team and seek employees who are passionate about our work and service to our community. The Food Pantry Associate is expected to work onsite at Rosie’s Place during their work week and engage regularly with staff, guests, and volunteers.
We continue to adapt to safety protocols related to COVID-19 as we understand them, and all employees must follow our safety protocols. Among these protocols, we require all employees to be up to date with their COVID vaccinations and undergo regular COVID testing and submit results. Requests for medical or religious exemptions from the COVID vaccination are considered. Masks are required to be worn on all Rosie’s Place properties at all times.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter through Rosie’s Place’s online portal.
Rosie’s Place is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, religion, sexual orientation, or gender identity. Rosie’s Place strongly encourages people of color, people with disabilities and homeless/formerly homeless people to apply.