Rosie’s Place was founded in 1974 as the first women’s shelter in the United States. Our mission is to provide a safe and nurturing environment to help poor and homeless women maintain their dignity, seek opportunity and find security in their lives.
Over the years, we have become much more than a shelter. We are a multi-service community center that not only provides meals and shelter but also creates answers for thousands of women a year through wide-ranging support, housing and education services. Rosie’s Place relies on the generous support of individuals, foundations and corporations and does not accept any city, state or federal funding.
Rosie’s Place is seeking an Essential Services Associate to fill shifts in a variety of essential programs, including the Food Pantry, Dining Room and Front Desk. Our essential services programs ensure that Rosie’s Place guests have a safe, warm and welcoming place to receive services. This position will report to the Senior Director of Emergency Services.
- Work in Rosie’s Place Food Programs, including the Food Pantry and the Dining Room:
- Duties in the Food Pantry include sorting, packing and distributing food, using a computer database to check in guests and verify identities, stocking shelves, and cleaning and sanitizing of the Food Pantry spaces
- Duties in the Dining Room include preparing and serving meals, stocking food and supplies, and cleaning and sanitizing the kitchen and guest table and chairs
- Work in our Front Lobby. Duties will include logging guest names when they come in, answering the phone and the front door, sorting and distributing mail, assisting guests with daily essential needs, and overseeing the use of guest telephone, computer, laundry and showers.
- Respond to all matters, questions and concerns in a dignified and respectful manner
- Intervene in guests’ crises and emergencies in a dignified and respectful manner
- Since this position works in several departments and roles, the responsibilities are diverse and varied. People working in this role must be flexible and willing to work where assigned.
- Perform additional duties as assigned by the Senior Director of Emergency Services or the Manager of the essential service program where you are working
- Strong commitment to social justice and the mission of Rosie’s Place
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment
- Willing to learn new skills and act as a team-player
- Ability to work in a multicultural setting with people of diverse backgrounds, traditions, customs and personalities
- Strong customer service mindset with effective and diplomatic, yet supportive communication style
- Must be well-organized
- Experience working in human services, customer service or food service preferred
- Ability to use computers and other office equipment
- Be physically able to safely lift 50lbs, reach, bend and stoop
- Ability to speak Haitian Creole and/or Spanish and/or Cantonese and/or Mandarin in addition to English strongly preferred
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
Day to day work includes lifting, stocking and cleaning, as well as interaction with staff, guests and volunteers. Individuals must be physically able to safely lift 50lbs, reach, bend, stoop, and move in a repetitive motion, as well as stand for long periods of time.
Wednesday – Friday from 11:00am - 7:00pm and Saturday – Sunday from 9:00am – 5:00pm
WHAT WE OFFER
The starting salary range for this full-time, non-exempt position is $17-$21 per hour, commensurate with experience.
Per Rosie’s Place Shift Differential Policy, hours worked between 9:00am and 5:00pm on Saturdays and Sundays are compensated at an additional $2 per hour.
Rosie’s Place offers a robust benefits package, including medical and dental insurance, 403(b) retirement plan, pension contributions, paid vacation, and more.
We are a hands-on team and seek employees who are passionate about our work and service to our community. The Food Pantry Associate is expected to work onsite at Rosie’s Place during their work week and engage regularly with staff, guests, and volunteers.
We continue to adapt to safety protocols related to COVID-19 as we understand them, and all employees must follow our safety protocols. Among these protocols, we require all employees to be up to date with their COVID vaccinations and undergo regular COVID testing and submit results. Requests for medical or religious exemptions from the COVID vaccination are considered. Masks are required to be worn on all Rosie’s Place properties at all times.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter through Rosie’s Place’s online portal.
Rosie’s Place is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, religion, sexual orientation or gender identity. Rosie’s Place strongly encourages people of color, people with disabilities and homeless/formerly homeless people to apply.